Early Drop-off from 8:00 am and late pick-up until 5:30 pm is $5.95 per day or $25 per 5 days week or $20 per 4 days week
The Gems, Minerals, and Precious Stones Cutting Camp gives your child the ability to learn about the intricacies of gems and minerals through experimentation and discovery. Campers will cut open geodes, peer inside, and see the beauty that lies within. They will learn basic geology and about characteristics and properties of different stones. We are equipped with a specialty rock cutter, polisher, and diamond cutter. This camp provides the perfect environment for answering all types of questions about gems and minerals.
Why is this camp beneficial for my child?
This camp brings together aspects of both hands-on and demonstration learning. By the end of the week, campers will be able to distinguish and identify geodes, crystals and other beautiful stones. Each day, campers will have the chance to personally slice open semi-precious stones provided by Rideau Gymnastics and add them to their collection.
Campers will also benefit from Rideau’s facilities and participate in a variety of physical activities including trampoline, tumbling and stretching.
Is this workshop appropriate for my camper?
This camp is open to all children aged between 9 and 11, however, it is specifically designed for campers who have established some fine motor skills and have interest in exploring our wonderful planet.
- Recommended for ages: 9-11
- Skill Level: Beginner
- Prerequisites: None
- Utilities: Rock cutter (safe for all participants as cutting is done by an automated cutter and observed behind plexiglass), various gems and minerals, stone polisher, and real diamond cutter.
What will my camper learn?
- Identification of various gems and mineral
- How to cut open stones
- How to polish stones properly
- How to cut precious and/or semi-precious stones
- How stones are categorized and why they have a certain shape or color
What will my camper create?
Campers will create polished and beautiful stones that they keep.